These are the only details we have of the four of them. Then all we have is what Jesus says, only to Peter and Andrews, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." All we know is that Jesus called to James and John. I am sure it was along the same lines as what He had spoken to Peter and Andrew. That's it! That is all we have! Here is the reason why I make such a big deal about having very limited information; because these four men dropped everything and followed Jesus. What was it that made them drop, jump, and follow? I know it wasn't Jesus' look. It wasn't His hourly wage He was going to pay them to follow. So what was it? I believe it was His message.
In verse 17, while in the region where these men were, Jesus preached saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." This really is all we have to go on. I am sure that the four that was called by Jesus had heard of Jesus' ministry and message. The message was so powerful and convicting that when Jesus offered to them to come and be His disciple, (to learn more about this ministry and message) they left immediately. They were so awestruck by the ministry and message. So captivating was this message, they left their jobs (fishermen), their belongings (boat, net, paddles, etc), and their family (sorry father Zebedee). Now they would embark on this ministry and message that would enable them to catch men.
As believers do we realize what Peter, Andrew, James and John realized then; that this Jesus is different! His ministry is different. His message is soberingly different. Are we so captivated and awestruck with who Jesus is and what He stands for and teaches, that at a moments notice we would leave everything? This is first century discipleship. Leaving all to follow a master teacher and submitting oneself to learn from him.
21st Century discipleship, especially here in America, looks grossly different. In fact it looks like the account in Luke 9:57-62. On three occasions Jesus asked people to follow him. Two of those responses were, "let me go bury my father," and "let me first say bye to those at my home." Today, many say they will follow Jesus, as long as they can do what they need to do first. First let me go build my retirement. First let me live the way I want to. First let me get settled. First let me sow my wild oats. First let travel where I want to. First let me follow after my career. First let me spend my own money. First let me read this fiction novel. First let me sleep in. The list literally could go on and on.
Let us, who are believers, follow in the footsteps of the four and be willing to leave job, livelihood, materials, belongings, and even family for the sake of knowing and living for Christ! This is true discipleship!
awesome!
ReplyDelete