Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is the Lord with you?

I have been studying the life of Joseph, which I will preach on this Sunday. One aspect of his life that seems to be very prominent is that God was with Joseph. Everything Joseph did prospered. Whether that was in the context of a slave or a prisoner or ruler over Egypt, one could definitely tell the Lord was with Joseph.

Now the morning I was reading 2 Samuel 3,4, and 5 and came to a verse in chapter 5 that says, "And David became greater and greater, for the Lord, the God of hosts, was with him." And I had to pose the question to myself, "Is God with me?" I know that I am saved, I know that I am a child of God, therefore God is 'with' me. But, what I really want to know is if God is really with me? Is God in control of my life? Is God pleased with who I am, what I am, and what I do? Can people see the hand and presence of God exhibited in my life. Is God a cognitive reality to those I come into contact with?

This is what I mean when I ask "is the Lord with you?" So, as you can see there is a difference between the fact that we are a Christian and that the Holy Spirit lives within us, and us being controlled by Him, living for Him, and exhibiting His presence towards those that may be around us. Let us yield to Him today, so that He might be 'with us'. Let us surrender to Him that He might live through us, so that He may become a cognitive reality towards those we will be around today.

No comments:

Post a Comment