Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lazy or Diligent? Proverbs 24:30-34

I am convicted many times at the way I coast in life. Now, I don't coast all the time, but many times I do. In other words, when I coast, I become a little lazy. I slack and am not as diligent as I once was. Areas that I become slack in are evangelism, intentionally looking for ways to engage people, spiritually leading my family, reading, and learning. As I was reading Proverbs this morning I came across some verses that speak to lazy and slack people. Look at what it says,

"I passed by the field of a sluggard by the vineyard of a man lacking sense, and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles and its stone wall was broken down. Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man."

This man's vineyard was overgrown with weeds and thorns because he did not take the time or effort or energy to tend to it. Therefore, the field brought him no profit. All this happened as a result of this man sleeping, slumbering, and folding his hands just a little. In other words, weeds and thorns came as a result of him not being diligent in looking after his field. Whatever the area in our life, whether it be family, bible study, people, leading, sinful tendencies, or evangelism, let us make sure that we stay diligent all the time. Because as we see here, all it takes is the small amounts of time that we become slack to allow the weeds and the thorns to come in. What areas do you have weeds and thorns growing? Choose today to take out your spiritual weed-eater and go to work and stay diligent!

No comments:

Post a Comment